The History of 1207 (Maldon) Squadron

 

1207 (Maldon) Squadron was formed on 12 March 1941 under the command of Flt Lt Bream at Maldon Grammer School.  In August that year the Squadron came third in the inter-squadron sports held at Chelmsford, by the 15th September they had a permanent HQ and in November was affiliated with RAF Bradwell Bay.  By early 1942 the Squadron was able to muster over 70 cadets who marched through the town in connection with Maldon's Warship Week.  In June the squadron visited Bradwell Bay where they were inspected by the Station Commander then visited various sections.  In July, 1207 paraded at Chelmsford with 276 Squadron for a service in the Cathedral followed by a march past.  Throughout 1941/42, the squadron's strength kept increasing and, by the end of 1942 the strength was almost 100.  Sadly, in January 1943, Cdt Cpl Hull was killed in a flying accident at RAF Bradwell Bay.

After only 2 years, 1207 had formed two Detached Flights, at Burnham and Tiptree, and was also a major force on the ATC sporting scene. By 1944/45 squadron strength was beginning to decline and, due to limited interest in the ATC, 1207 (Maldon and district) Squadron was disbanded on 3 March 1946, only 5 years after it's formation.

After a lapse of 23 years the Squadron was reformed as 1207 (Maldon) Squadron from a DF of 276 (Chelmsford) Squadron on the 20th July 1969 under the command of Flt Lt G. Parsons. The Headquarters was in leased premises (part of Taylor's Sale Rooms) and a formation parade was held in the presence of the Mayor and OC 276 Squadron. The accommodation soon became a problem as it lacked heating and had a leaking roof. In 1971 the squadron moved to a purpose-built hall in Tenterfield Road, which was being used only by the Army Cadets, where it has remained to date. Temporary offices and stores were built in the main hall for Squadron use. During the winter of 1974/75 two DFs were formed at Tiptree and Woodham Ferrers, the later becoming a Squadron in 1976 whilst Tiptree remained a DF until January 1995 when it disbanded because of declining numbers. Late in 1976 the temporary stores and offices were replaced by a two-storey building which included three lecture rooms, canteen, NCO's room, stores and offices/ From September 1986 the Squadron admitted girls.

All information on this page was complied using the East Essex Wing Air Training Corps 50th Anniversary (1948-1998) Book and knowledge of squadron and wing members.